Friday, June 6, 2014

And then there were 2

Quick post before the weekend starts! Not much changes during the Monday - Weds day.  Monday & Tuesday = class, talk to GREAT people, exercise, and plan the next weekend trip (I'm still waiting for the notification that my bank account has shut down, but we're on a roll so far). Weds = take a 4 hour nap because you realize you haven't slept in a week in a half (you know it's bad when you take that long of a nap and you still have zero problem going to sleep that night).

This Thursday was AWESOME though. My big got negated, it was Victoria's birthday, and we went out for our first night in Limerick!! I keep replaying last night in my head because it was SO fun. We started at the famous pub... Victoria and I had made friends with the owner, Tom, at lunch (he gave us free food for her birthday... I told him he'd made a new best friend). He suggested a bar to go to downtown, so the entire group taxi'd down (we missed the bus by 2 minutes). We walked in right as the live band started playing, and since we were the only ones there to start we got to joke around with the band while they were playing. They sang all classic American music (and butchered the words several times... It's the first time in my life I've ever known more words to "American Pie" than the people singing it). They sang a beautiful Happy Birthday to Victoria, and they would play a song, talk to us for a bit, and then play some more. When they finished, there was a dance club upstairs (and ladies night so we got in to freeeee!) I was exhausted so I was planning on dancing to the obligatory one song, but then they started playing every song that we listened to in middle school so I had to stay. It was a blast - a lot of random groups from our Tech group had shown up, so it ended up being a bunch of us dancing together (with so much personal space... Way different than America and I loved it). It's funny because big groups of Americans was exactly what I said I'd be avoiding this time around, but it's what the past 2 weeks have consisted of and I've loved it.  The night ended with a trip to the worlds best kebab place (kebabs and pizza... Not a combination I ever would have expected, but then again, they're strategically located right outside a lot of the late night hang out spots).

That being said, after the industry visit this morning (we toured Abbott in a small town called Clonmel, it was actually really cool!) Victoria and I took off for Enniscorthy by ourselves. We're spending one night there (there's a music and dance festival that looked like it'd be fun to check out), and then we're heading to Cork on Saturday! So far it's been quite an adventure - it's the kind of traveling that I LOVE - asking for directions from random people and getting back descriptions rather than street names. Waiting at bus stops that look abandoned and getting anxious that it might be abandoned and then the bus showing up 5 minutes late. Stopping for an hour to switch buses and going to a pub across the street. It was exactly what you would picture an Irish pub to be - a couple old dudes hanging out, a really friendly bar tender, walls made of old brick, and soft music playing in the background. It was actually exactly what the Irish pub was like that my dad and I went to in New York, so I guess it was good to know that things are authentic in America too? When he found our we were from Georgia the bar tender turned on Willy Nelson's version of Georgia On My Mind... It was great. It turns out an "Irish Experience" is way more do-able with 2 people than 12, so this weekend should be fun!! More to come after!

Victoria's morning birthday party!!

It was 7:30 a.m...

Finally doing Irish pubs right 

My big girl bus ticket 

1 comment:

  1. You might want to get a proof-reader before posting next time . . . Erin getting 'negated' is a whole different thing than getting 'engaged', one being much more exciting and positive than the other :)

    ReplyDelete